Friday, April 13, 2007

DNA is Like a Box of Chocolates

So, when Nicholas was first born, most people said he looked more like me. Granted, it's hard to tell with an infant so young, but I did agree with them......over the weekend, though, my mom said that Nick Knack was looking more like Andy! I took a close look at my baby and thought, "Hmmm....I just don't see it...." [or maybe I don't WANT to see it!]

What is lurking in Nicholas's DNA is 50% a mystery. As Forrest Gump would say, it's a box of chocolate....you never know what you're going to get! I suppose that could be true about what I passed on....the only thing I know for sure that I gave to that child are his toes! They are definitely my toes, and they are the same toes that my father has. We all have these lollipop big toes and the second and third are close together. In fact, that's the second thing I said in the delivery room right after, "He's so beautiful! And slippery!" I then said, "He has my feet!"

I remember when I was pregnant, and the doctor asked me about some test for a disease that is hereditary. I said, "Oh, that's okay....it doesn't run in my family." Then, I suddenly realized that I have NO idea what runs in Andy's family! It's because he was adopted, and he has never looked for his biological parents. Therefore, he could have all sorts of things lurking in the shadows of his genes....

Me, for example, I am half Greek. I already know what evil noses and big ears are hidden in my DNA. My grandmother had quite a schnoz! Thankfully, they don't seem to be dominate genes! So far, Nicholas has a cute, normal nose. We'll see if it becomes the German nose that both my brother's and I have.

My biggest concern with this unknown family history stuff is that we don't know what to look for or prevent.....physical appearance is pretty minor compared to the real problems he could have inherited. Like, does cancer run on Andy's side? Mental illness? Or something like that? Same for his girls.....we really don't know.

I guess there isn't much we can do but wait.....and see how our little baby grows....

No comments: