Saturday, February 17, 2007

Oh, The Weather Outside is Frightful....

I haven't had a chance to type in my blog for a few days. We've had some crazy weather here with ice and snow and more ice and more snow. It got so bad that many people were without power including my two stepdaughters at their mom's house. Fortunately, the baby and I were nice and toasty warm. The power flicked off and then on twice, but it never actually went out.

We did lose our Internet and cable feed for almost two days, and that alone was sheer torture! I finally had to call my dad to check my e-mail! This was Wednesday night, and I was worried that I would miss Lost at 10:00. God FORBID....people were without power and freezing, and I was concerned about my weekly Lost fix. Tisk-tisk.

Because our Internet was out, I went ahead and took a sick day and worked on Cafepress designs all day. You could say I was a "Busy Little Bee" which is one of my new designs. My absolute favorite new design, though, is "Freshly Squeezed." It just cracks me up!

My lucky husband was in California on business during all of this, so he missed all the "fun." I told him about all the branches that had snapped. With the weight of the ice, many trees were hanging lower than usual. One rather large tree outside our bedroom and living room was now scraping against the roof in the wind. Sounded like a large animal running up and down the roof all night!

I will say that all the ice on the trees is quite gorgeous. In the right light, the trees look like they are made of glass or even diamonds. They sparkle and shimmer.

This morning, we awoke to more snow, though. So, the ice on the trees now has a layer of snow on them. I hope the added weight doesn't cause anymore limbs to break -- especially on the Magnolia and Japanese Dogwood. I would hate to lose those trees or even change the overall look of them. They are both quite spectacular when they bloom.

When I lived in Atlanta, we used to get ice storms like this. I remember everything being covered in ice and shimmering. In our backyard, we had several very tall pine trees -- the Southern kind that grow tall with very bare trunks and all the branches and needles up near the top. I did a Google search and came up with Longleaf Pine as a possibility.

Anyway, one of these very tall trees got so heavy with ice that it bowed over....and then froze to the roof of our house! Our RANCH, I should mention, so you get an idea of what this might have looked like....one of those tall trees with its thin trunk.....yeah, my parents were pretty freaked out over what might happen!

I believe my dad climbed onto the roof and cut small branches off until he could free the tree. Being in Georgia, it didn't take long for the temperatures to warm up, and as they did, the tree went upright. Luckily, it never snapped, and no other trees bowed or snapped.

A few months later, when the Winter was over, and the weather had warmed up.....my parents hired some men to cut that tree down! They made sure it never had a chance to freeze to our roof again.

No comments: